Friday, January 23, 2009

a crafty blog?

I really have been crafty lately, I just haven't posted about it lately. But now I have something big. I got a spinning wheel! I ordered the Otium from Heavenly Handspinning and have been trying to get it to work.

Trying is the operative word. I tried myself out the other week when I got it. I think some of the words I was saying were making my husband blush. First, I couldn't treadle. Then when I got the hang of that, I couldn't get the yarn to go on the bobbin. Then, a piece broke on it. I was pretty angry because that meant I wouldn't get any practice, but I emailed Jan Ford, the company owner, and she was nothing but nice. I sent pictures of the part that had broken and she sent one immediately at no charge. It came in last night and I got to work on it. I started getting frustrated because it wasn't going well again, but I had Jason talk nicely to it and fiddle with it a bit and I started to get it. Here are the results: The darkness of the picture and of the wool hides the lumps and uneven twists. :) I was just happy to finally get yarn on the bobbin. Now I just need to practice, practice, practice.


I picked up spindling again while I was waiting for the wheel part to arrive. I wasn't ready to lay out cash on a spindle when I wasn't even sure if I'd like the wheel, but was itching to spin,so I cobbled one together out of some junk lying around the house. I saw someone on YouTube make a one out of cardboard and a pencil, so I followed suit, except I used some leftover coroplast from the piggies' cage so I wouldn't crunch the whorl when I put it in my purse.
I am thrilled with the results. It spins like a tornado, and I've even moved past park and draft, which I thought I never would. I had a big breakthrough when I read about spinning from the fold. That made it so much easier to draft.

4 comments:

Miss Kitty said...

So, Charissa...are you still wonkily quilting? Knitting? Crocheting? How are things lately? I'm delighted to read your comments on E&P, and figure you must be busier than a one-legged man at an ass-kicking contest. :-) Hugs to you, Jason, and Wyatt.

Miss Kitty said...

Durn it, Charissa! I was hoping to see more wonky quilts. :-P

Hope all's going well; I imagine you're insanely busy these days. Stop in at E&P sometime, or drop me a line at my new e-mail:
wackycatwoman AT hotmail.com

Angel charls said...

When attempting to send a message to your Gmail account, you may get Error Code 8770, which will cause you to lose time. Then don't be bothered! Applying the basic steps as we have given in this article to troubleshoot Gmail Error Code 8770 is not a difficult job for you. As a result, many Gmail users have experienced Gmail Error Code 8770 when sending files and messages to friends, family, and company contacts, as well as when sending mail that is too big to deliver. This indicates that the file you're sending is larger than 25 megabytes. I hope after applying our all troubleshooting steps, your problem has been resolved. but, If the mistake persists, then you should get professional assistance to resolve it via Gmail Klantenservice.

Elinathomas said...

Thank you for shearing a useful information more information go here Netflix Nederland