Friday, November 21, 2008

My first time being tagged!

I was tagged by Miss Kitty at E &P for a Seven Weird Book Facts meme. I have to come up with seven weird book facts about myself,tag seven other people, then let them know they've been tagged.

1. The scariest book I've ever read is Alas Babylon by Pat Frank. I first read it for an English class, then re read it later and both times didn't sleep well for days afterward. Horror novels and movies never scare me, but this book did because it seemed so real that it could happen tomorrow.
2. I read The Macmillan Fully Illustrated Dictionary for Children a lot when I was a small child. Consequently, it drives me nuts how atrocious people's spelling can be these days.
3. I'm currently reading Virginity Lost: An Intimate Portrait of First Sexual Experiences by Laura M. Carpenter. It's a drier read than I expected, but I still find it interesting. It's nice to read something about sex that goes beyond "Just don't do it!"

4. I'm a card carrying member of the Bathroom Readers Institute. It all started when I got Jason an Uncle John's Bathroom Reader for his 19th birthday in 2000. He's legendary for his "private library time" so I thought it'd be perfect for him. Now we're hooked on them. We have quite a few to catch up on, but there's at least 7 of them floating around here. Where else could you learn about the history of Photography, dumb criminals, and odd world customs in the same volume?

5. Despite being a grown up, I love childrens' illustrated books and had several long before the boys were born. Some of my favorites right now are the Elephant and Piggie books by Mo Willems, and the Walter the Farting Dog series.

6. I read things to the kids that are way,way above their reading level, like the unabridged Alice in Wonderland and the Hobbit. I keep the sessions short so they don't get overwhelmed, and often stop and explain words, but I don't dumb things down. In the area I live in, I think a lot of people don't read to their kids often and it's so sad because it's such an easy thing to do.

7. I'm as happy as a pig in slop at a used book store or library sale. I never leave those types of places emptyhanded, and usually leave with at least a stack.

The people who I want to tag don't have blogs, but I'll see if they'll let me publish their memes on here later

1. Anthony
2. Jude
3. Monica
4. Bryan
5. Jason
6. Natalie
7. Scott

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am definitely going to do this, just as soon as I get some time to sit down and really think it through.